WINTER COURSE - ‘GOD IN THE MOVIES’
A three-week course highlighting four short films, which show a movie doesn’t have to be ‘Christian’ for Christ to play a part.
Facilitator: Bob Jones
Christians affirm that we live a life defined by the experience of the Triune God: The Father who creates, the Son who rescues and the Spirit who animates and draws us together into community and action. This is the gospel-the Story into which we are living, witnessed to in our Bibles and our experience. But how might this Story be expressed in four contemporary ‘secular’ films that are NOT designated ‘Christian’ nor have a particular ‘Christian message?’
We will view four short films (Drama and documentary, fiction and non-fiction, all under 30 minutes long!) which alert us to the presence of God in ordinary existence (much as Jesus’ parables do) which will challenge us to discover Christ’s will and ways afresh.
WHAT DO I NEED TO DO?
· Commit to all three weeks (not just one).
· Read the ‘homework’ readings related to the film which will prepare you for the discussion. (You’ll receive a printed handout for each session ahead of time.)
· Email Bob at firstname.lastname@example.org to sign up
· When: Tuesdays: January 15, 22, 29
· Where: First Baptist Church basement
· Time: 7:30-9ish
· $20.00 per person ($40 per couple—do the math.)
· Your time: 3-weeks